Monday, March 27, 2023

I just (re)discovered the fantastic Felicity Jones…

 I recently got around to finally seeing 2014’s TheTheory of Everything (yep, I’m only 9 years behind the times) – damn good movie!  Who knew the life of Stephen Hawking would produce such a sweet/bittersweet love story?  The charm of that love story really came from the chemistry and talent of the two stars – Eddie Redmayne (Stephen Hawking) and Felicity Jones (Jane Wilde/Hawking) – whatever nominations/awards they received, they 100% deserved.  I really enjoyed the early parts of the movie when they were in college together - it put a genuine smile on my face.   

There were a couple of other parts that made me chuckle and flat out laugh as well…

First, when the Jonathan character shows up and shows a clear interest in Jane, Stephen is looking at him like “Who the hell are you moving in on my woman?  If I could get out of this wheelchair, I’d create a new black hole with my foot in your ass!”; and then later, when the character of Elaine shows up and shows a clear interest in Stephen, Jane is looking at her like “Bitch, who the hell are you moving in on my man?  I’ll come at you like a spider monkey!”  But, eventually, proving that real life is indeed crazier than fiction, Jane ended up with Jonathan, and Stephen ended up with Elaine.

Second, there were two great scenes that showed Stephen Hawking – genius mind though he was – was also just a regular ol’ guy as well…

First Scene: he’s rolling about in his wheelchair, with a homemade mask over his head, while his computer voicebox is repeating the Dr. Who line “Ex-ter-min-ate!  Ex-ter-min-ate!” – hilarious! 

Second Scene:   When Elaine found that he had an issue of Penthouse magazine in his mail, his voicebox responded “That’s for a friend!” – I laughed so hard at that – classic dude response, and yeah, it didn’t work for him either – haha!

 

Now, I sure hope I don’t come across as some “creepy guy”, but the real highlight of this film for me was that I was just completely charmed by Felicity Jones.  She has the sexiest little overbite with her two front teeth that, combined with her great British accent, just melts my heart.  And if that isn’t fantastic enough, every once in a while she has a slight lisp which makes the aforementioned sexy traits 10 times (possibly 10.5, I didn’t take time to do the precise math) more endearing.  So, yeah, thank you Felicity for being you – this old turd in America thinks you’re a delight…career pinnacle, right? 😄

 

So, naturally then, I had to do a quick Google of Felicity’s filmography to see what other movies/shows she’d been in – and I instantly had an “aw jeez!” facepalm moment due to an obvious oversight.  Here I am, a lifelong Star Wars nerd, and I completely forgot she played Jyn Erso - the main character in Rogue One - for shit’s sake!  That movie is only my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie behind only the first two classic movies from the Original Trilogy…yep, “Dumbass Award” for this guy.

 

So, now that I knew I’d seen her in two movies, what other movies were available for me to discover?  Well, thanks for asking…the ones I’ve found and have now seen so far are as follows (I’ll probably reveal spoilers, so read at your own risk):

 

Chalet Girl – 2011 Rom-Com about a working-class British gal (Felicity’s character) who gets a summer job working for a family of elite snobs in the Austrian Alps…and she just so happens to become a pro snowboarder along the way.  Not a movie I would have sought out to watch if not for my “Felicity discovery project” – but you know what? – I actually enjoyed it.  Snowboarding scenes in the Alps were great; it was a nice story; and Felicity was fantastic in the main role.

 Albatross – 2011 film that, I gotta say…was a little disturbing.  Felicity played the daughter of a famous author who was still living off his past success, and now under constant ridicule from his wife.  Well, this beautiful 17-year old girl comes to work for them and while he helps her develop her writing skills, decides it would be a good idea to help her with some “hanky panky skills” as well (can't believe I just used the term "hanky panky"...*soaks in the rare moment*...ok, then).  Dude...not cool...that shit will get you thrown in jail for a loooooong time in this country...just sayin’.  Anyway, Felicity played more of a side character really, but she also shared a major story arc with the main girl, and again was great.

 Like Crazy – 2011 romantic drama that was really great – but the two main characters drove me “like crazy” while I watched.  Felicity (Anna) and the late Anton Yelchin (Jacob) play a couple who meet in school in the US.  Anna is from England, and Jacob from California.  Due to visa violations, Anna can’t move back to Cali even after they marry – so they unmarry.  They have this extended “on again, off again” relationship throughout the movie – even as each of them meet someone else who really cares for them.  But hey, the heart wants what the heart wants.  I gotta say though, at first I was rooting for them, but as the whole “on again, off again” repeated itself, I wanted to grab both of them and say “Hey, it’s time to shit or get off the pot!  You’re hurting other people now.  Damn.”  And here’s the kicker, the movie ends with them back together but you can tell the spark has left, so it was all for nothing…are you shitting me?  Now, this was no depressing ball-buster like BlueValentine (seriously, that fucking movie, great though it may be, is 2 hours of a way too realistic force-fed shit sandwich), but dammit, can I just get my “happily ever after”?…movies are for escaping from the crap realities.

Felicity was fantastic though!

 Cheerful Weather for the Wedding – 2012 film that I just plain did not like.  It bored the hell out of me…seriously, this was the type of movie that you would only go see if your girlfriend/wife dragged you to and you thought you might get rewarded with a little “afternoon delight” afterwards.  However, every scene that Felicity was in was absolutely fantastic!  She looked extra stunning in this.

 Breathe In – 2013 film that is kind of similar to the aforementioned Albatross, but Felicity plays the main object of attraction/affection and her character (Sophie) is at least a law-abiding 18 years.  So, anyway, Sophie is a musically gifted exchange student from England who comes to stay with a family in the US.  The dad/husband is also a musician, and is going through a bit of a mid-life crisis.  His wife tries to control him and does things he doesn’t want to do, so when he meets Sophie – who also plays music, and is nice to him (unlike his wife) – he basically wishes he could go back to when he was younger and relive a new life with Sophie (a real "Sophie's Choice" there, am I right?  Ah-ha-ha-ha...Anyone? Anyone? *taps mic* Is this thing still on?...but I digress).  There’s some obvious sexual feelings going on there as well, but it never fully plays out that way.  It’s a great film, and once again, Felicity was fantastic.

 On the Basis of Sex – 2018 film about the "Notorious R.B.G." (US Supreme Court Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg) in which Felicity played the title role.  Surprisingly good!  Mainly about a court case that, in helping to get equal rights for a man, actually helped bring more equal rights for women – rock on!  When you see some of the back-ass-wards stupidity here in the US, it’s amazing sometimes that we can even tie our own shoes in the morning…but we keep on truckin’.  Anyway, Felicity was fantastic – but it sucked that she had to do a bland American accent in this movie when her natural British accent is such nice ear candy.

 The Aeronauts – 2019 adventure film that saw Felicity (Amelia) team up again with Eddie Redmayne (James)…and once again, they had great chemistry together.  Really enjoyable film, based off a true story, about Amelia and James taking flight in what was the world’s largest gas balloon in the 1860’s.  There are some great action sequences in this one featuring vertigo-inducing camera angles.  Broken record but – Felicity was fantastic!


 After now seeing Felicity and Eddie be so great in two movies together, it made me think about another charming and talented duo who also did a couple of movies together – Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman (Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller, Notorious from 1946; and the 1958 rom-com, Indiscreet).  It’s the latter type of those two movies in which I’d like to see Felicity and Eddie hit the trifecta – I think it would be fun to see them in a “battle of wits” + “wacky hi-jinx” style rom-com where they’re each trying to gain the upper hand in the relationship, only to find that, in the end, they really need and love each other – lots of laughs and a happy ending.  I’d go see that…hell, I’d like to write that.

 

As for other movies I think it would be great to see Felicity in – if Hammer Films starts making more movies again, I think it would be cool to see her in a good ol’ scary flick; I also think it would be cool if she played a crazy character in the next Quentin Tarantino film (he said he’s doing one more at some point!); or maybe a cool role in a James Bond film – she could be a prim and proper British schoolmarm on the outside, but in reality is a feared crack-shot assassin who could knock the dew off a frog’s pecker from 1000 yards away (or 914.4 meters if you prefer)…and maybe have a cool (beautiful but deadly) name like Millicent Marigold or Ivory Oleander.  Now that I think about it, that character would also work in a cool Tarantino film…hmmmmm…now that I think about it some more, it would work even better for a stand-alone movie series all its own.

 My (re)discovery of Felicity Jones may have just led to the discovery of an idea for a new book series for me…shit-fire, I need to stop writing this blog entry and get to work on jotting down some more ideas for this story!

No comments: