Thursday, March 21, 2024

My Top 10 Favorite Kung Fu movies

I’ve been on a Kung Fu kick (gosh, look at me with the clever word play, thank you) lately.  Between the great Shaw Bros sets (and some Golden Harvest titles) that Arrow Video and Shout Factory have been releasing recently; along with Region A-friendly individual Shaw Bros titles from 88 Films; a surprising handful of releases from the Criterion Collection; the upcoming Bruceploitation box sets from Severin (can’t wait!); and Eureka Entertainment soon-to-be releasing Region A-friendly titles from their catalog (there better be a Region A-friendly release of Duel to the Death!!!), it’s been pretty great getting back into a genre of films I’ve enjoyed since first discovering them in my youth on TV’s Kung Fu Theater in the early/mid-1980’s.  At that time, ninjas and The Karate Kid (my all-time favorite martial arts-related film – but it’s not Kung Fu!) were big deals to 10-year olds like me – but little did I know back then, those were Japanese-influenced martial arts – whereas Kung Fu is China-based.  Not that any of that really matters to me, because, regardless of their origins, they’re both kickass to watch.

So, like I said, there are various boutique labels putting out great, restored, blu-rays now for those of us who prefer physical media (like myself).  However, there are so many more great Kung Fu films from the 1970’s and 80’s that deserve to be preserved for future generations with proper restorations in their original aspect ratios.  I say that because One – it’s a fact, Jack; and Two – though there are plenty of vintage Kung Fu films readily available on streaming services such as Tubi, PlutoTV, Plex, GoogleTV, and perhaps my favorite – the Wu Tang CollectionYouTube channel (seriously, whoever the person or persons are who run that channel, they are truly doing the Lord’s work in making so many rare Kung Fu gems available to view again) – sadly, the vast majority of the films available on these streaming services are just old, unrestored, pan-and-scan versions – similar to how they were seen on TV, back in the 80’s, on shows like Kung Fu Theater.   On the one hand, it adds a little nostalgia to the viewing experience for those of us who were around in the 80’s; on the other hand, it just shows that we’re only getting to see roughly 55% of what we really should be seeing (most Kung Fu films were shot in the wide 2:35 aspect ratio…even the shitty ones), and at a far inferior image and sound quality to what these films deserve.  (UPDATE: March 29, 2024...I recently found an amazing TV show called Dracula's Kung Fu Theatre...the host of the show is the funniest damn Dracula ever and he shows an old school Kung Fu movie every week on VHS - it's like Svengoolie, but this guy is a million times funnier.  The "Glamour Shot" T-shirt for sale on the site will be mine - it's so damn funny!  Though I'm not on Facebook, I did find that the show also has a public Facebook page...funny videos on there too.  Ok, end of Update.)

That ranting and rambling aside, I’d like to share what are currently my Top 10 favorite Kung Fu movies.  Granted, I haven’t even come close to seeing every Kung Fu movie ever made, so this list could very well change in the future…will I take the time to update this list if it does change?...meh, probably not – so this will be a snapshot in time.

Now, I do have some rules/aspects on what went into my picks:

1.      These are Kung Fu films, not just martial arts-related films.  So, no The Karate Kid, no Kill Bill, or other great movies I enjoy that are more Japan-based like samurai/shogun films (i.e. Kurosawa films; Lady Snowblood; Lone Wolf and Cub; et al).  However, I did make an exception in my list for one Japan-based film because I love it too much to leave off the list (and no, it isn’t from Sonny Chiba’s Streetfighter series…but close).

2.      My favorite Kung Fu movies were made between 1970 – 1984. 

Here’s why:  Prior to 1970, Kung Fu films were more hardcore Wuxia films – though pretty dang cool in their own right, they don’t quite have all of the elements I really enjoy.  Starting around 1985, it seemed like “Kung Fu” became more “Gun Fu” – though still entertaining to watch, when guns have majority involvement, it becomes more of a regular action genre film to me.  Then, in the 90’s to the present, CGI has become more prevalent, which takes away the charm and creativity that the old Kung Fu films had (though I do enjoy Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from 2000...but it actually only used very minimal CGI, so not the best example on my part, ha).

3.      Despite eliminating 1960’s Wuxia films from my list, my favorite Kung Fu films usually employ superhuman Wuxia aspects.

a.       I love gravity-defying super jumps (like seen in the old The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman TV shows).

b.      I love gravity-defying runs up a tree trunk.

c.       I love gravity-defying gliding through the air.  Just defying gravity in general, really.

d.      Hand-to-hand Kung Fu fights are great, but I really enjoy when swords (a Wuxia staple) and various other non-gun weapons are involved as well.

e.      I love when a character reveals superhuman traits like arms that extend 10 feet when they punch/grab; or legs that do the same when they kick.  So much fun to watch!

 

4.       And here are some other things I generally enjoy about Kung Fu films from the 70’s and early 80’s.

a.       I love the over-the-top sound effects.  You get that same “Whoosh” sound from someone quickly turning their head as you do when they swing a sword.  Then, if they add Bionic-like sound effects to the super jumps (or other crazy sci-fi sounds to other movements), I giggle with pure delight like a kid even as I near turning 50 years old.

b.      I love the bad English overdubbing.  Normally, if I’m watching a foreign film, I’ll watch it in its native language and read subtitles; but the English overdubbing in Kung Fu films is usually so ridiculous, it just adds a whole extra layer of fun and charm that doesn’t work in any other film genre.  It’s pretty special.

c.      I love the music soundtracks – especially in the 70’s films.  Granted, a lot of the soundtracks are straight up ripped off from other movies (especially spaghetti westerns); but it works beautifully, and adds a fun “Name That Tune” aspect to watching.

d.      I love when, during a fight scene, they’ll put down their opponent’s style of Kung Fu while talking up their own: “Your primitive Crane-style kung fu is no match for my superior Tiger-style!”  It is on like Donkey Kong when that happens!

e.      I love the creative editing and practical effects that had to be done to show the various gravity-defying moves, due to CGI effects not being invented yet.

f.       I’ve noticed 3 things in Kung Fu movies: 1) If you know kung fu, and you’re walking through a forest, be prepared to fight.  2) If you know kung fu, and you’re walking through a Village – especially at night, be prepared to fight.  3) If you know kung fu, and you go to eat at a public place, bring a doggie bag and be prepared to fight because you’re not going to get to finish that meal.

g.      I love how the women are so beautiful, elegant, and feminine, and yet can still kick your ass six ways to Sunday.

h.      If the title of a Kung Fu movie has the word “Shaolin” in it, there’s a more than 90% chance it’s going to kick ass…it’s science, baby.

i.       And in that same vein – Shaolin monks and Masters, whether good or evil, are totally kick ass.

j.       Ninjas make everything better.  Period.

And now, without further ado, starting at #10 and working up to #1, here are my Top 10 Favorite Kung Fu movies.

10. Enter the Dragon (1973 – Golden Harvest)

A "Top 10" without a Bruce Lee film?  Can’t be done.  Most consider this to be the ultimate Bruce Lee film, and I gotta agree (though I do enjoy his fight with Chuck Norris in 1972’s Return of the Dragon – aka Way of the Dragon).  Bruce, along with co-stars John Saxon (what movie wasn’t he in during the 70’s and 80’s?) and Jim Kelly (he’s as cool as the other side of the pillow…I actually collect his movies – dude is too cool not to), head to the evil Han’s island for a Kung Fu Tournament.  A Tournament that is actually a fight-to-the-death recruiting tool for the evil Han’s drug empire.  The duel between Bruce Lee and the evil Han inside the mirrored room is a visual kaleidoscope of intensity.  Sidenote: The movie poster artwork/design for this film is classic coolness.

 

9.  Shaolin Wooden Men (1976 – Golden Harvest)

Though Jackie Chan is one of the greatest movie stuntmen to ever live, and has great martial arts skills, I have a hard time watching a lot of his movies.  The reason: I hate Kung Fu comedies.  The comedy in them is just so lame (kind of like my "clever" word play...sigh).  I’m also not a fan of the “Drunken” Kung Fu style that he likes to use.  Thankfully, this early Jackie Chan effort has only 3 minutes or so of these elements, so I can tolerate it.

He plays a mute (or is he? Mu-wa-haha), so his entire “dialog” is via the use of facial expressions and body movements – and he does a hell of a good job in this role.  The reason for this is revealed as the movie goes along, but for the most part, he’s a Shaolin student who wants to learn Kung Fu but the Masters don’t want to train him because they think he’s lazy and stupid.  However, he meets a mysterious kind-hearted Nun; and an even more mysterious cantankerous prisoner of the Shaolin being chained in a cave - both agreeing to train him in their personal styles for personal reasons.  The mysterious prisoner escapes, and the story races toward its twisting, and highly satisfying, conclusion.  Oh, also, there are kickass fight scenes with the “Wooden Men” from the title.  You just gotta see it for yourself.

 

8.  The Sword of Justice (1980 – San Hsin Film Company – Taiwan)

Highly stylized, highly atmospheric, spaghetti western-esque, 84 minutes of awesomeness!  Someone wrote a highly informative blog post about this film back in 2013 that is a must-read if you enjoy this film – he wrote about it better than I could do, so just head there.  It would be an absolute travesty if this film doesn’t get a proper restoration to preserve for future generations.  If you want to watch it, head over to the Wu Tang Collection channel on YouTube (the “Sword of Justice” listed for streaming on Amazon Prime/Freevee is a completely different movie).  Even though this only known print is badly washed out in many places with scratch marks galore, it still overcomes this horrible neglect to be one of the coolest Kung Fu (highly Wuxia) films I’ve ever seen.

 

7. Heroes of the East (1978 – Shaw Bros)

The first of two Shaw Bros films on my list, this movie was one half surprise and one half giddy action delight.  The “surprise” was that the first half of this movie plays out like a great, and genuinely witty, romantic comedy.  Starring Gordon Liu (he’s one of my favorite Kung Fu actors), and Yuka Mizuno (so beautiful, and such a firecracker in this one, I fell in love with her within the first 10 minutes she was on screen), they play a couple forced into an arranged marriage.  But just not any arranged marriage – he’s from China, and she’s from Japan – so let the fireworks fly!  Both stubbornly headstrong (it’s their way or the highway), she’s constantly provoking him and he’s constantly trying to show he’s “The Man” in charge.  Their spats lead to great kung fu fights using various weapons (and how cool would it be if real life marital spats lead to kung fu fights?  I’d watch that reality show!), until she has had enough and escapes back to Japan…that’s where the second half of this movie starts.

Gordon Liu’s character sends a note to Yuka’s character, challenging her Japanese martial arts as a way to get her to come back.  Well, her old friend and martial arts instructor (who is also still in love with her) reads the note and takes it as an insult and challenge to his martial arts school.  So, he and a group of students (all with distinct areas of martial arts expertise) head to China to challenge Liu.  Thus begins the action-packed half of the movie.  What made it a “giddy action delight” for me was the final showdown between Liu and the Japanese instructor (who is a ninja!).  Besides unveiling plenty of ninja trickery, the final battle where he showcases his ninja “Crab” fighting style, had me giggling with giddy delight like the 10-year old me watching Kung Fu Theater back in the day.  So good!

 

6.  King Boxer (aka Five Fingers of Death) (1972 – Shaw Bros)

My other Shaw Bros pick is the film that is considered to have started the whole Kung Fu movie craze here in America.  It’s an absolutely fantastic movie in both story and shock elements throughout.  Story-wise, the folks who made 1984’s The Karate Kid had to of been influenced by this film because it’s a very similar story: two rival martial arts schools; the main character is bullied; there’s a Tournament with retribution for the main character.  However, King Boxer has more twists and turns with additional storylines, and shockingly violent outcomes for various characters.  Sorry for this spoiler, but when eyes get plucked out of the skull, that’s a “Holy shit!” moment for sure!  It’s such a great movie.

And of course, when the main character’s fists start to glow with the Iron Power, you get the classic siren sound effect that Tarantino later used in his Kill Bill movies (fyi, the sound was originally used in the main theme for a 1960's TV Show called “Ironside”…by the legendary Quincy Jones no less).

 

5.  Return of the Sister Streetfighter (1975 – Toei Company – Japan)

Here’s the one from Japan that I had to make an exception for because I absolutely love everything about this movie!  And that love starts with the main actress who plays Sister Streetfighter – Etsuko Shihomi.  She’s as cute as a kitten but as fierce as a tiger!  Seriously, to me, she has that special “IT” quality where you can’t take your eyes off of her when she’s on screen (Meiko Kaji of Lady Snowblood; Female Prisoner Scorpion series; Stray Cat Rock series; had that same “IT” quality).

This film is 77 minutes of non-stop action…the soundtrack kicks ass (I swear they’re using bits from the Gatchaman anime series); the sound effects kick ass; the characters are James Bond-ish great; the sometimes choppy editing even adds a unique charm. 

It’s basically about her having to rescue a gal from a cartoony crime boss, and protecting a little girl whose mom has become addicted to drugs…more or less.  It’s just the way everything is put together that makes it fun for me to watch over and over.

Most people who like the Sister Streetfighter series of films will point to the first one as being the best, but for me, this 3rd movie in the series takes the top spot.

 

4. Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976 – First Films and Cheng Ming Film Co.)

Oh man, this movie is so good, I don’t even know where to start.  I’ve owned the “Anniversary Deluxe Edition” on DVD for many years now, but it could still use more restoration work.  In fact, a few years ago, I sent an email to the folks at Criterion asking them to do a full restoration and Blu-ray release…needless to say I never heard back from them, haha.

Anyway, this is the movie that is said to have inspired the makers of the original Street Fighter arcade game.  Just watch the Tournament scenes and you’ll see why.  Jimmy Wang Yu is once again a one-armed swordsman, and he’s got a pissed off blind Tibetan Lama on his tail seeking revenge (Wang Yu killed two of his friends in 1972’s One Armed Boxer film).  It’s crazy Kung Fu goodness.

 

3. Shaolin Invincibles (1977 – Hai Hua Cinema Co. - Taiwan)

Speaking of crazy Kung Fu goodness, this movie is bonkers – and so much fun to watch!  It’s about a young woman out for revenge against the Emperor who killed her family when she was a little girl (she was saved by a Shaolin Monk).  Another young woman, who she trained with, accompanies her on this quest.  Let me tell ya – if you’re in their crosshairs, your ass is grass and they have the blades to cut it…they’ve got skills.  There’s also an evil Governor who led the attack on the woman’s family, so he’s in the crosshairs too.  Anyway, though the Emperor is skilled in Kung Fu, he not only employs the services of two wizards (one Black, one White - apparently, these two characters are from legit Chinese mythology) with ridiculously long tongues which they actually use in kung fu battle (oh yes, they do!), but he also uses two Kung Fu gorillas for protection – you read that right – KUNG FU GORILLAS!!!  The gorilla costumes are hilariously bad – from visible zippers on the back, to leggings only going down as far as the ankles – so it looks like furry pants (I’ve gotta pause to control my laughter…alrighty then…).  Along the way, the monastery where the women trained, send out two guys to help them – one being the great Carter Wong…seriously, I have yet to see a bad Kung Fu movie that this guy is in – he’s kick ass.  Eventually, everything leads to big battles to right the horrible wrongs perpetrated by the Governor and Emperor.  The fight scenes in this movie are frenetic, kinetic, and every other “etic” you can think of.  Though you can see various forms of this movie online (and with English dubbing), I own the AGFA Blu-ray that features the full 2:35 aspect ratio film print with Mandarin language and burnt-in English subtitles (why they couldn’t include an English dub, I don’t know…maybe it was due to the burnt-in subtitles).

 

2. Wu Tang vs Ninja (aka Ninja Hunter) (1984 – ECM Productions - Taiwan)

Speaking of really crazy Kung Fu goodness, this kicks it up another notch yet with ninjas and the craziest power source for a villain I’ve ever seen.  So, the villain (Abbot White) in this movie apparently derives his power from groping beautiful women’s breasts, which in turn, drains the lifeforce out of them and into him – making his kung fu unbeatable while turning them into the walking dead.  I mean, yeah, getting to palm a beautiful woman’s breasts is pretty invigorating – but damn! – that’s next level right there.

Anyway, the main villain and some ninjas team up to battle the Shaolin for ultimate Kung Fu supremacy…I guess?...I can’t really follow the plot...all I know is that this movie is chock full of crazy action and I didn’t stop smiling for its entire 90 minutes.  Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s a fully uncut version with its proper 2:35 aspect ratio available to view online, so this movie definitely needs to be restored to its full glory in all aspects.  I did see that Arrow Video has it available on their streaming service (I refuse to pay for any streaming service, thus I haven't seen their version), so that gives me hope that maybe they’re working on a physical release?  Fingers crossed!!!

 

Oh, and before I get to #1, I gotta briefly mention a film that got kicked out at the last second when I decided to replace it with Shaolin Wooden Men.  There’s a film from 1983, called Demon Fighter, that has one of the most shockingly bizarre – yet so oddly enjoyable – scenes I’ve ever seen.  There’s a scene in Demon Fighter where a woman, walking through the forest and in clear abdominal distress, doubles over and on to her back, only to have a ninja (the ninja demon if I recall correctly) burst out of her womb and start flying around in combat!  Say whaaaaat?!  Only in Kung Fu movies.

 

1. Duel to the Death (1983 – Golden Harvest)

To me, this movie is absolute Kung Fu perfection.  It hits on every point that makes me a fan of the genre –and – it even has a coherent plot, with artful cinematography and great acting (for a Kung Fu film anyway).  That’s not to say it doesn’t rank high on the crazy-meter – because it does – but it also is a legit piece of coherent cinema.

The main plot is about a duel between the greatest swordsman from China vs the greatest swordsman from Japan for ultimate supremacy.  The twist in all this is due to the “powers that be” from each country trying to rig the duel in their respective country’s favor (China side employs Shaolin monks; Japanese side employs ninjas).  The duelists grow weary of this and question the point of this duel – why should they “Duel to the Death” for these corrupt assholes?

This movie has some great ninja moments that just about cover every color of the crazy rainbow.  Ninjas fly through the air; pop out of the ground; fly wicker mattress gliders (but why use gliders if they can already fly without them?  But I digress…); throw ninja stars and flashy smoke bombs all about; and in what is one of the most satisfyingly crazy scenes ever…a Shaolin monk is walking through the desert only to find a 30-foot shadow loom over him – when the monk turns to face the shadow, he is confronted by a giant ninja who then splits into five or so regular-sized ninjas!  As they fight, one of those ninjas bursts out of uniform and out pops a naked chick who starts rocking kung fu skills - "Buddha be praised" indeed!  I had the same bewildered look as the monk.

Eureka Entertainment has released this movie on Blu-ray for Region B territories and I desperately want them to release it here in the Region A, USofA.  I need this movie on physical media, in my library, proudly displayed on my shelf…streaming this movie will just not do.

No comments: